"". Emma Nyra's Blog: Biko, my dear readers, help me weigh in on this matter

Saturday 21 March 2015

Biko, my dear readers, help me weigh in on this matter


So, this morning I got a stinker email from a group that wanted me to do something for them that I refused. I want to tell you guys what it is and you tell me if I was wrong. This is from me, Linda, by the way, and not a reader...lol.

You guys remember the airport cleaner Josephine Agwu, who found money inside one of the toilets at MMIA and returned it? (read here) Well, an NGO wrote to me and said they had opened a gofundme account for the lady for people to contribute money to her in appreciation of her honesty and wanted me to help them publicize the page and get you guys to donate. I told them no! Continue to read why I said no.

Biko, my dear readers, help me weigh in on this matter

So, this morning I got a stinker email from a group that wanted me to do something for them that I refused. I want to tell you guys what it is and you tell me if I was wrong. This is from me, Linda, by the way, and not a reader...lol.

You guys remember the airport cleaner Josephine Agwu, who found money inside one of the toilets at MMIA and returned it? (read here) Well, an NGO wrote to me and said they had opened a gofundme account for the lady for people to contribute money to her in appreciation of her honesty and wanted me to help them publicize the page and get you guys to donate. I told them no! Continue to read why I said no.


Now, you all know that I have used this platform to raise money for a lot of people. I have also personally contributed my own money to some of these people and to a few causes, so I'm really big on helping people and giving back but I have a problem with trying to raise money for someone just because they were honest.  

Are we not supposed to be honest? Don't get me wrong. If I see Josephine today face to face, I'd definitely give her money and a hug...but that's from me personally. Now, asking my readers to give her money when she's not sick and when she's gainfully employed and even had her salary increased recently, that one is a different matter. What was I supposed to tell you guys? Please dash money to this lady for returning money that doesn't belong to her? 

Not only was her action recognized and appreciated, she was also rewarded by quite a few people and groups. And don't forget the thousands of prayers and well-wishes. Trying to raise money for her via gofundme is an overkill...I think! You don't have to agree with me.

This brings me to the question I asked those people when they sent me a mail insulting me (lol) for refusing to publicize the page. Was Josephine not supposed to return the money? Was it hers to keep? If you saw money that doesn't belong to you somewhere, would you keep it? Are we not supposed to return lost items we found? If you keep it, does that not make you a thief? If she'd taken the money and was later caught, would she not have been called a thief? Would she not have been sacked? If it was in public with uncivilized people, would she not have been lynched? Is returning lost property not the right thing to do? So why are some people glorifying this behavior so much like she did something unbelievably unheard of?

Has our society lost its morals so much that returning money that doesn't belong to you is now something that deserves to get you a gofundme page? *sigh*

I'm done. Let me move on to other things but what do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment